BELLEVUE, WA—October 20, 2021— The Pokémon Company International announced today that highly anticipated Play! Pokémon Regional and International Championships will resume in North America and Europe, with the first events slated to kick off in March 2022. The Play! Pokémon 2022 Championship Series season, leading to the 2022 Pokémon World Championships planned to take place in London in August 2022, will include four different Pokémon products: the Pokémon Trading Card Game, Pokémon video games, Pokkén Tournament DX, and for the first time, Pokémon GO in partnership with Niantic.
The Pokémon North America and Europe International Championships events will feature high Championship Point payouts and hundreds of thousands of dollars in prizes, spread among the Pokémon TCG, video game, and Pokkén Tournament DX competitions, as well as Pokémon GO qualifiers for the 2022 Pokémon World Championships. Event dates and locations are as follows:
2022 Pokémon North America International Championships
- June 24–26, 2022
- Greater Columbus Convention Center, Columbus, OH, USA
2022 Pokémon Europe International Championships
- April 22–24, 2022
- Messe Frankfurt, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Play! Pokémon Regional Championships and Special Events will also resume in North America and Europe in 2022, at the following dates and in the following locations:
- March 18–20, 2022: Salt Lake City, UT, USA
- April 1-3, 2022: Orlando, FL, USA*
- May 6–8, 2022: Indianapolis, IN, USA
- May 20–22, 2022: Secaucus, NJ, USA
- May 27–29, 2022: Vancouver, BC, Canada*
- June 17–19, 2022: Milwaukee, WI, USA*
- March 26–27, 2022: Liverpool, UK*
- May 7–8, 2022: Bilbao, Spain (Special Event)
- June 4–5, 2022: Milan, Italy (Special Event)
Additional Regional Championships and Special Events may be announced later.
Pokémon GO competitions will be open to Senior and Masters age divisions and will follow the Great League format. Placing highly at Pokémon GO competitions will earn players prize money, and top players will earn invitations to compete at the 2022 Pokémon World Championships in London in August 2022. More information on the Pokémon GO competitive series is available here.
The health and safety of the competitive play communities continue to be the most important aspects of resuming live Play! Pokémon events. The situation is being continually monitored, and the timing for the commencement of in-person Play! Pokémon events will be determined by the health mandates, guidelines, and recommendations provided by appropriate government agencies. Once in-person events resume, all competitors, vendors, staff, and spectators must comply with The Pokémon Company International’s COVID-19 policy to ensure the health and safety of all attendees. More information about this policy can be found here.
Information about the resumption of Play! Pokémon Premier Events and Pokémon GO qualifiers in Latin America and Oceania will be announced soon.
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing and marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children’s entertainment properties in the world. For more information, visit www.pokemon.com.
About Niantic, Inc.
Niantic is a leading AR company, inspiring people to explore the world together. Our signature slate of products--Ingress, Pokemon GO, and Harry Potter: Wizards Unite--reaches a global community of hundreds of millions of Niantic explorers. The Niantic Real World Platform offers creators cross-platform API’s and tools that simplify the development of AR applications for current and future mobile devices. For more information go to www.NianticLabs.com and @nianticlabs.
 Information subject to change.
 Regional Championships followed by * will include Pokémon GO competitions in partnership with Niantic.
 For large championship events (300+ attendees and staff), venues are to institute the following vaccination policy:
- Live attendance at Play! Pokémon events by players, audience, and staff should be restricted to individuals who are vaccinated.
- Attendees must present evidence confirming that at least 2 weeks before the start date of the event, they received the final dose of a vaccine that is recognized on the World Health Organization (WHO) Emergency Use Listing (EUL). Current vaccines on the WHO EUL list (as of June 18, 2021) include Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Janssen (J&J), Sinopharm, and Sinovac.